Congratulations on finding the perfect partner, getting engaged and choosing to get married in Hawaii! Where do you even start with planning a destination wedding in the Hawaiian Islands? To find the best recommendations and tips, I turned to my friend Carolee Higashino – the owner of White Orchid Wedding, together with her amazing team of event designers and coordinators, they work with clients from mainland USA and around the world to plan the wedding of their dreams.
**Westin Wow Wedding- Credits : Coordinator Carolee Higashino/Venue Westin Kaanapali/Photography Dmitri & Sandra/Florals Studio Flora Maui
I personally have been working with Carolee for over twenty years, planning my clients destination weddings in Hawaii, no matter how simple or elaborate the clients vision is, I only make one call to White Orchid Wedding and I know my clients are in the best of hands for their wedding planning, and I just handle all the travel details for my clients and their guests.
Carolee’s Top 10 Tips For Smooth Hawaii Destination Wedding Planning
- Couple should plan to arrive a minimum of three days prior to wedding date, to adjust to time zone, obtain marriage license, last minute changes that have to be addressed, not to mention possible flight delays and cancellations, save yourself stress by arriving early to the islands.
- Have your wedding day towards the beginning of your trip to the islands so you can have a longer “Hawaiimoon”
- We suggest you confirm a room block for family and friends – room rates have risen since the pandemic especially, so locking in lower rates (10 or more rooms normally required for group blocks) is always a great idea. in addition – for most first time visitors to the islands, a Luau is a must, book those early (possibly as a group activity) as they have been selling out months in advance.
- Work with your White Orchid Wedding planner to choose your creative partners and services early, Hawaii has limited offerings and the very best gets booked well in advance.
- First select an island, then select the venue. Know windward from leeward sides of the island when selecting your venue – Leeward side usually has the best sunsets.
- Opt for a morning or sunset celebration- as the middle of the day is the hottest – early morning is less crowded, cooler and from the east coast you will be awake anyway due to time zone differences and your internal clock.
- Always offer transportation to guests in imbibing
- Cost for food have increased since the pandemic, sourcing local options is a lovely way to say aloha and save some money.
- Florals can be challenging post pandemic, keep an open mind when selecting specific florals – be flexible and have a backup option in mind in case your first choice is not available. Best plan is to follow a color palette and allow your designer to work within your color palette to complete your vision.
- Beach weddings are lovely and a wonderful way to celebrate. However, Hawaii beaches are public and open for all to enjoy- Discuss with your White Orchid Wedding planner the best beach options available for your chosen date, guest count and time of ceremony. Also, remember that no structures such as chairs, arches, tables and so forth are allowed on Hawaii Beaches and groups should be 25 guest or less. A permit is required from an insured wedding planning company to allowed for beach weddings, the process is rather simple but mandatory –
Credits: Lead coordinator Kendall Oreta/Venue Westin Kaanapali/Photography Dmitri and Sandra/Florals Bella Bloom/Hair and Makeup Maui Makeup Artistry/Calligraphy Aloha Hand Lettering/DJ Maui DJ Services/Rentals Rio Event Design
Credits:Photo (1) Venue Olowalu Plantation House/Photography Melia Lucida/Florals Bella Bloom Photo (2 Venue Olowalu Plantation House /Photography Dmitri & Sandra/Florals Teresa Sena Maui
Save yourself time, money and stress by reaching out to Carolee and her team to start a conversation about planning your dream wedding in Hawaii. White Orchid Wedding is now the official planners for Westin Kaanapali as well, which is an amazing venue as well as resort for your guest.
White Orchid Wedding Contact Information: Toll Free 1-800-240-9330
email [email protected]
Need help deciding which island might be best your wedding and honeymoon ? Let’s connect and start the process of narrowing down your island choices, as a Hawaii Master Specialist for all islands, I have been to each of the islands many times and love helping clients put together custom itineraries for their Hawaii vacation.
Email [email protected]
Direct Line 704-486-7264